Friday, November 3, 2017

1980 AMF Sunfish Viper 03 Nov 17 Second Coat WetEdge

03 Nov 17:

An interesting day for paint and primer. I sanded sown the first coat of paint with 80-120 grit to even out some brush and roller marks. I began to suspect my bright idea to tint the primer with paint had messed up the desired characteristics of the primer, causing it to flash too fast and not lay down fully. And as a result the paint could not flow as advertised. The first coat of pure primer a few weeks back had looked okay, so I decided to sand my current concoction flat and start over with a new coat of primer. The boat did not like that! The primer wrinkled immediately when I applied it. Luckily I only put on a foot or so. I stopped and decided to scrape and sand all of that new primer off. In some areas that took the finish all the way back to gelcoat. I've never seen this before, but I'm sure the tech folks at Jamestown Distributors can tell me what happened. Something is not blending with the primer.


Plan of attack version 2.0, I rolled on the WetEdge Kingston Gray and used to roller to "tip" the paint vs a brush. I rolled small 2 foot sections, which left small bumps over the wet edge of the previous section. The paint seemed to be tacking very fast at 80F degrees outside temp. I added two caps of Special Brushing Thinner to the quart can and this slowed down the tack a bit. I then rolled firm over the overlapped section to flatten it out, which left roller edge ridges in the paint. To finish up "tipping" I went over those ridges lightly with the roller and the paint seemed happy, laying down and flattening out the best we have seen so far.




Log of Viper.

No comments:

Post a Comment